Saturday, April 24, 2010

Lest We Forget

I thought I'd share this as a proud Mum.
Locky had to write a poem for school as part of their ANZAC day studies.He had to read it out at assembly on Friday. It brought a tear to my eyes and gave me goosebumps. Well done Locky I'm so proud of you. A great effort for a 12yr old.



On ANZAC Cove the flag held high,
As the brave men around me die,
Is this the end? Have I failed?
NO! I can't lose, I must prevail!

I scramble up the coast, running with pride,
I can't shake this feeling inside,
Excitement, a rush, a worrying thrill,
I'll die for my country! If I have to I will!

Running up the beach my head starts to swirl,
I am going to mark my place in this world,
To my death the further I stride,
I really just know I'm going to die.

The death of many, the death of me,
It will never cross my mind to flee,
The death of many, the death of I,
In Flanders Field now here we lie.

By: Locky Underwood.

3 comments:

Julie van Oosten said...

HI Audrey this is a very moving poem by Locky. He has a great feel for ANZAC and captured the very spirit, you must be so proud of him!

Gretz said...

Wow - what an amazing poem ffrom one so young..
;-)

Removalists Australia said...

I can see that he has a potential to be a great writer someday. What a beautiful poem coming from a very young kid. I can imagine how proud you are of him.